Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Waterfalls, Guavas, and Asparagus

Wow, I actually woke up very late this morning. Actually my cat woke me up at 6:22, by walking on me and meowing in my face so I finally petted her and fell asleep to her purring against my shins. So from 6:25 to 9:30 I had the strangest set of dreams. The first was one where Rich and I were in "our" house, which looked like no house I've ever been to, watching this scary movie, when his family (including his lovely sister) came home and while we watched T.V. traipsed back and forth across the screen looking for a down comforter with waterfalls on it. Waterfalls!? They kept interupting us until we finally marched down to the basement to finish the movie, (the basement was furnished as a bedroom and had a door to the outside in it). On our way to the basement we were assaulted by a terrier puppy, smaller and faster than the real life one (Linda's) who kept jumping at us and barking. My cat didn't seem to appreciate it because she ran over and almost mauled the dog, scratching the dog's eyes out, getting her paws all bloody. And while I was scolding her, Rich was asking me if the door to the outside was locked because the guy in the movie could just come in and kill us, so I went and checked and though it was locked, the door was made of glass so it could have been easily shattered and broken into. While I was in this whirlwind of activity; checking the door, watching the cat, making sure the dog didn't bleed all over, a dark figure stepped up to the door and began rattling the knob. The last bit I remember was seeing the darkness of the street, behind the dark figure, glistening with rain.

The next dream, which flowed in smoothly from the last one (unlike this break), had me in this arid, hot place. It seemed dark, as if the sky would soon be opening the flood gates and this red dust stuck all over everyone, between the creases of our fingers, to our faces and up our noses, making it hard to breathe. (Perhaps the aliens had taken me to a mare* on Mars) I was with a tour of people and were about to depart when I happened to peer into a fruit shop which had this rather succulent looking bag of red and orange mangoes. So I asked them to wait at our terminal and walked into the shop. A man with a full beard came up to me (with the environment and this man dressed in a loose white shirt and baggy pants, makes me recall Arabian themes and such, like "Scheherazade" and all that). So I go in and ask him if they had guavas and he points me to this crate of "guavas" which looked like overripe, to the point of wrinkling papayas, or green gourds. So I grab the wrinkliest one of the bunch and a bag of mangoes and a few other things and brought it to the counter. So the total comes to 600 something or other. I ask the woman behind the counter (who looks Asian) what the money exchange would be, but she couldn't figure it out. So I look in my wallet and there was nothing in there! So one of my travel mates came in and I asked him to find my other wallet or just money. (He wouldn't loan me any). I finally re-search my wallet and find a $5 bill inside and asked her to see what it came up to in their money, so she swipes it through this funny little device and she told me that the bill would be 200 of their money. This is when I started drifting into the real world and thought to myself, well I have that $10 in my wallet so I can pay it all off. And that's when I woke up.

A few last things...

Eau d'asparagus

For dinner I made some oven roasted salmon and sauteed some summery vegetables and asparagus(i forgot fish Friday and had to make up). I've heard that one complaint of asparagus is that it makes urine smell funny. Does anyone else have that problem? I don't have that problem but after looking it up it turns out that asparagus contains "mercaptan" which is a sulfur compound which is found in rotten eggs, skunks, onions. This is from an article on the internet..."your genetic makeup may determine whether your urine has the odor -- or whether you can actually smell it. Only some people appear to have the gene for the enzyme that breaks down mercaptan into its more pungent parts. A study published in the May 1989 British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that 46% of 115 people tested produced the odor in one group of British citizens, while 100% of 103 people produced it in a group of French citizens. The ability to smell the by-products may also be genetic. Another study published in the same journal found that 10% of a group of 300 Israeli Jews could not detect the odor. In other words, a person's urine could smell, but he or she might not know it." haha...so maybe my urine smells but I can't smell a thing.

This came to me while I typed up the above word "re-search"...Has anyone realized the discrepency between the two words: "refuse" and "re-fuse". The former means an unwillingness to comply or deny, or leavings (trash and such). But to re-fuse something is to put it back together. Just a thought.

*Mare means: any of several mostly flat dark areas of considerable extent on the surface of the moon or Mars. The plural of this word would be "Maria".

We're expecting a snowstorm today...it's looming overhead right now. Have a great day everyone!

Michelle

No comments: