Saturday, March 20, 2004

Mythic, Magic, Linguistic

I looked up that school that teaches Sindarin Elvish, it's called Turves Green Boys' Technology College in Birmingham England. (Note, they call it college but it's high school, their college is called university.) I think that's what confused me, Tim. This language (Sindarin) is based, loosely on Welsh and is considered the conversational of his two languages. The other language, Quenya, is loosely based on Finnish and is more the ceremonial language. Funnily or not, Tolkien never left any word that means "to love"...isn't that just like a man? One film, in a scene between Arwen and Aragorn, they use the word "aniron"="I want" in place of "I love". Well maybe he didn't add the word "i love" because his elves just didn't see life in those terms...

I looked out of the window, on my way to get food for Sooty, and beheld bunny tracks on the snow in our front lawn. I wonder if it's the same bunny from last summer. Those fecund* rabbits! For all I know, these tracks may be from the 5th generation already. I'm inspired to take pictures for the Pic of the week. I just don't know if I'll be able to brave the cold just yet...it's only 26 degrees outside.

*Fecund means: 1 : fruitful in offspring or vegetation : prolific
2 : intellectually productive or inventive to a marked degree

Happy Spring Day Everyone! Oh by the way, I think Bambi's word for Spring and love is "twitterpated", or was it owl's word for it?



Me

No comments: