Friday, March 26, 2004

Book Report

Ooh warmer weather! The next few days promise to be nice, in the mid fifties and sunshine. I like that. I'm feeling good and I love the exhilaration of Spring and the total change of environment. By the way, I finished Eragon and must say that I would definitely read it again, it's good. I think I'll move to short stories again instead of a full novel for now. Oh by the way, I bought 5 more books the other day (much to Rich's chagrin, since I have a surfeit* of novels on the "to read" shelf above his head. I'm thinking of reading one of those 5 next, called Good Scent From A Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler (It's all short stories and won the Pulitzer Prize in 1993). I hope it's good, I read a few of them for a class I had about a year ago and those were good. There's some controversy over this book because its stories are about the impact of the Vietnam War on the Vietnamese, however, R. O. Butler is not Vietnamese but he writes it as one. Apparently the Vietnamese did not appreciate it. They doubted that he could write about their plight just by being a linguist (in Vietnamese) because he doesn't know it fully, that is the culture, traditions, everything really. Eh. I gotta run. See you all later, enjoy the weather!

Have a good day everyone!

If you want to see what was given the Pulitzer please click here.

*Surfeit means:
1 : an overabundant supply : excess
2 : an intemperate or immoderate indulgence in something (as food or drink)
3 : disgust caused by excess

Me.

No comments: