Sunday, March 28, 2004

Up To The Highest Heights

I felt it yesterday. The call of the wind. I was jonesen to fly a kite. Rich claimed that there was no wind out and I have to agree that looking out the window there were no signs of even a breath of air. But I knew better. It's a fact that by the beach it's always windier! So I excitedly started up my car and grabbed our kite and searched for my camera. After locating it I put it on the kitchen table so I could grab it on the way out. I decided against sneakers, preferring my J. Crew (shot to hell) flip flops, because we were going to the beach, and I knew that if I stepped in water I would be happier with flip flops rather than sneakers and socks that would make me squish around and if kept up long enough the skin on my feet would start peeling if kept wet and gross the whole time. That would definitely detract from the experience.

So I rushed out to try some quick kite flights from our porch while I waited for Rich to get ready. I got a few quick flights and I spun around laughing. I become simpleminded when I get kite flying in my blood (I think it's because my thoughts are in the clouds...haha). If flying a kite means you have to be slow witted then call me stupid. Finally we get in the car, (it was 61 degrees when we left the house and somewhat sunny) and I commented to Rich that maybe he should have brought a jacket but he wasn't sure since it was warm...but it's always colder at the beach because of the wind and so forth. When we got to the beach we noted that there were waves and that usually means wind, so we stepped out of the car and walked closer and not only were the waves surging but they were pretty high, so there was only a little strip of land to walk on! On stepping out we also noticed that there was a nice little breeze...

We quickly put our kite together and tried to get it up in the air. We noticed something black in the sky further down the beach from us and I was certain it was a kite but Rich said he thought it was a big black bird. I knew it couldn't have been a bird because it hovered so long in one spot without flapping and it didn't even land for a second.

Rich was at the helm* first but to no avail, there were several attempts, til we were all a little frustrated, finally he handed it over to me (master kite flyer extraordinaire) and zoom, up, up it flew! I was laughing and laughing, there went any type of modesty and composure I took care was all people saw on the beach. I made it loop-the-loop. I made it look like it was gonna come crashing down to earth only to have it zoom back up to flight at the last minute, I made it fly to the right and change its mind and fly to the left. Oh god, that was close to being inebriated that I've ever been. I kept calling to Rich to take over. I get like that often, I'm so intoxicated that I'm laughing and rolling that sometimes it's hard for me to concentrate on what I'm doing. If I'm in the kitchen chopping away at onions or celery or whatever and watching something funny, usually comedy central, I'll be laughing so hard my hands will lose all sense and I wont be able to chop until I sit down and breathe. Aunty Susie's little girls tell me I laugh too much. Screw you, you prigs*. I don't really mean that...haha

Back to kites. I finally let Rich take the wheel and he showed me the tecnique to "pop" it up into the air...so maybe it was his pop that allowed me to be the master kite flyer that I am...but I disagree. I'm just magical. haha (I'm sure I could have flown mine without any help!) So he had the kite and I was busy laughing and staring up (no wonder I have a little crick) that I didn't notice that his foot was right in the water. oops. Well I had my chance to give my feet a soaking as well as my jeans cuffs, but it was "all right, oh yeah, feels good" (sorry a song that was playing, Weezer). We were passed by this little boy (about 4 years old) holding a kite handle and I look up and there above me was a black bat. Bastards. Nice balloon! Where are the stunts, huh! little boy? That's right, I thought so.

We finally let up because the water had inched closer and closer to us and I almost killed a pink padded little baby when my kite came crashing at their feet. Whoops. The couple didn't notice, too enthralled by their baby, but she knew... So we headed home, cold everywhere. Rich asked if I finally got it out of my system, but I only smiled. That kinda high is hard not to get addicted to. So when we got home I went up to the kitchen and what did I find on the counter? My camera! Of course! So no picture of the week of our kite flying! I would have forgotten to take pictures even if I did bring it. So ended our flight...for the day anyway. I wouldn't chance it today since it's cooold and looks wet. It really is too windy...hmm. See y'all soon and have a good day.

*Helm means: a position of control : Head
*Prig means: one who offends or irritates by observance of proprieties (as of speech or manners) in a pointed manner or to an obnoxious degree

Me

No comments: