Friday, May 07, 2004

Revenge of the Geeks

The other day Rich offended my thin skin by telling me that I was not/ am not a true nerd. I was not a nerd, but rather just "clever". I think he mighta said "a clever monkey"... I have always known that I am more of a Jack of all trades, master of none type, but don't take my nerd status from me too! This affected me for a while. I think we eventually stumbled over the fact that I may be a geek, but not a nerd... and that's worse! I'm a specialty geek, specializing in exact change and how to give change so that the outcome would be a nice round number. It was as if I was going through teenage angst again! I wanted to belong to the nerd clan, because really, how many exact change specialty geeks are out there? However, this new found status is due to the fact that I can blend with everything and everyone. I'm clever. Problem is, because I didn't have a place to belong to, which is really what everyone wants in this life, it adds to my insecurities, because I read somewhere that Geeks only socialize with Dweebs, and Rich (who is a nerd) only socializes with Dorks and never the twain shall meet. haha. But then... I read a few articles, and there is this one, the difference between the two and I realized that I did belong to a clan...

This is a quote from "The Socio-Psychological Distinction of Nerds vs. Geeks" http://www.earthsea.com/metrogamers/nerd-gee.htm

"Nerds tend towards some kind of scientific, rational, ordered pursuit of thought such as math, physics or engineering. Rather than jumping into mainstream culture they will spend their time solving technical or logical problems, and sometimes this is out of sheer enjoyment. They tend to be lost in their own thought in a rational way such as in terms of problem solving. Just think of the pocket protector, sliding ruler, and calculator type person."

"Geeks tend towards the misfit bunch. They may be intelligent but towards liberal studies areas and thus their angle is more towards drama, imagination, etc. Their interests take them away from
mainstream culture towards some outlook on reality that requires an imaginative component. They can get lost in their own thought also but this tends to be day dreams, fantasies or whatever gives them some kind of psychological boost before going back into the world of the 'mundane'."

I am a geek!! This article goes on to state the mixes of both, for example, Rich may just be a strong nerd and weak geek because of his peppered Star Trek references + his obsession with stuff rational etc., while I am a strong Geek and a weak nerd, the type to get an English major... driven by the dramatics, collector of books and other things. One question to Rich, do you secretly wish to be Spock? haha Ooh nice ears. Now that I've found my place in this world, I can breathe a sigh of relief...I belong! Now that that's over with... there was this cute, pale nerd that caught my eye...

Feeling good! Have a great day everyone!
Me

No comments: