Saturday, May 15, 2004

Ka-ching

New York is the epitome of bling. I say this somewhat indulgently, and half embarrased, like having that one aunt who puts on a lot of make-up and clings to the "essence" of youth, but ya can't say anything bad about her because she's really quite nice and treats you well, even if she is gaudy. As soon as I cross over the border from Connecticut to New York, I am suddenly surrounded by vanity plates and enormous cars, with blinding rims. The people are loud and garish, but funny and very into their material goods, whether it be around their necks or around their cars. I like New Yorkers. It's not everyday I catch a gay man cursing at an old woman at the grocery store, in a joking manner. "Oh come on, would you move ya shit already! This is 12 items or less. I coulda been home listening to Barbara" (now imagine he said that laughing all the way). Alright, he didn't say the last sentence, but I forget what he really said. The old woman shaking her fist at him, "oh to the moon!" alright, she didn't really say that either, I think she was deaf and didn't hear him... Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Massachusetts has their own standard of bling, but in my definition of bling, it comes to mean "flashy material things that you showoff for the benefit of those around you," and not just expensive homes and furniture (because the whole world can't come into your house to see it, but they can see your cars and accessories). I love vanity plates, I think they're great to read, especially if they're funny (not just names). I saw so many mini coopers here too, one guy's plates read "lil mini". I woulda went with "mini me" but that's just me. or lil meeni. Eh, whatever. That's all for now, it's too early to think of anything else to add.

Having a great time in Nueva York! Have a good day.

Me

2 comments:

Michael "Paz" Pascua said...

You told me to comment so here:

umm...it must be that Mass likes sour fruit theory. Relish in the Sweet sweet taste of New York.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »