Monday, May 17, 2004

New Poll!

A mother who is really a mother is never free.
- Honore De Balzac


I used to wonder what it would be like to be an adoring mother. I barely question it any longer because I have tasted it through Soot. Anything she wants she gets, and any wrong doing in anyone else eyes, are in my eyes, something positively wonderful. She hardly ever gets scolded, but rather is praised for something "cute" although it shouldn't be... like chasing the dog and scaring it to death.

But then I saw more examples of this this weekend. Strange how a mother can take something and twist it around so that it shines a wonderful light upon her children. This is a story of one mother and her son. Let's call them Mom and Mike... I related a story to Mom about how a teacher had asked me, in an accusing manner "and who are you?" the day I went to pick Mike up at school. I sat in the auditorium while they marched for National Honor's Society Inductions. And so I responded, somewhat haughtily, "I'm Michelle, Mike's sister!" and got the reply, "oh, you're picking him up," and then left me to return to the meeting. My point was that she was just rude and probably didn't want a student slacking off where she wasn't wanted. However, Mom, thought that that incident was proof that the employees of the school really and truly adore Mike and therefore were very protective of him and wanted to know who this newbie was trying to steal their delightful Mike. Funny enough the woman who asked me who I was was a teacher Mike never had. But that is one of many examples of how a mother can see things through rose colored glasses, only for her children.

Me