Saturday, January 29, 2005

Never eat more than you can lift.
--Miss Piggy

Oh, Miss Piggy, if you only knew...

I was watching a repeat of "King of the Hill" (which is a god-dang good show, even on repeats, and because of it I will never step foot into Texas in all my days), last night and it got me wondering this: "If I were to have a last meal on earth, what would if comprise of?"

Now I can go with the basics (what I picture southerners having for a nice Sun-dee supper) like perfectly crispy fried chicken, that when you bite into the grease comes pouring down your chin, served with perfect mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh, sweet, just-off-the-stalk corn on the cob with some creamy butter, crisp green beans (so fresh that they're sweet and crunchy), stuffing, and cornbread. Maybe a nice, cold, tall glass of lemonade to drink. And for dessert (because I will make room!)? Probably a slice of fudgey, warm chocolate cake with chocolate butter frosting with fresh whipped cream perfectly sweetened so as not to detract but rather to compliment the chocolate cake, with some skim milk (i can't seem to appreciate the richness of whole milk).

or-

If I stayed with the foods I grew up with, more ethnic/Filipino then it would be a combination of things, starting with lumpia (forgive me, after this meal I'm gonna be put to death, if I don't translate what they are in "American" terms) and crispy pata with that spicy vinegar sauce you dip it into. When I say "crispy" I mean crispy, just right outta the fryer, still bubbling and hot, so that it sizzles when I dip it into the sauce and burns my mouth. Lechon, cut up and served with that sweet sauce. Some of those sweetened chicken barbecue skewers, and adobo, and ginataan anything but let's make it pork and it has to be good, fresh coconut milk, and rellenong bangus with lots of veggies and the fish has to be tender, and bihon with chinese sausages, shrimp, pork, chicken and lemons, and lots and lots of rice to eat it all with. For a drink, probably my favorite drink to order in the Filipino restaurant, sago at gulaman/ gulaman at sago (i never know the order) and for other people it's "bubble tea". For dessert? Oh my lord... a little bit of ube ice cream, and suman (what's that rice called that's sticky and sweet and a little sour and you can buy it at the asian food mart? starts with a "P" i think) and biko, fresh, sweet guavas and ripened, sweet mangoes, so ripe that when I bite into it the juices gush all over the place, (forget peeling 'em) oh and fresh jackfruit, and maybe some nata de coco preserves, which I learned to eat, straight outta the jar. Fresh lychees and rambutans! Okay, that's too much. I'll have to condense that later. haha.

or-

If I were in the mood to just eat, plain old "American" fare then I'd say gimme some succulent, yep you guessed it, hamburgers. heh. I would say steak. Wait! I will say steak. Medium well, because I can't have it any rarer, I just don't like the flavor. But it's gotta be grilled, no rubs or spices, just plain ole salt and pepper and rubbed in some oil to make it really char and burn on a hot grill so you get all those nice crunchy, outer fat pieces sizzling. hah. Serve it up with a lots and lots of freshly cooked, french fries with salt and ketchup. The fries have to be parcooked first then cooked a second time to give it that nice crunchy outer skin and that soft, perfect middle. Gimme some salad too. heh. I'm gonna have me a nice, caesar salad beforehand. No meat toppings though, so I don't ruin my steak. Just plain old parmesan flakes, big, crunchy croutons, fresh, crisp, dry lettuce and dressing, but not too much dressing. Ugh, can't stand it when it's smothered in dressing. A nice, long sip of coke with ice will be perfect. And for dessert? Apple pie, of course. With a nice buttery, flaky crust, and not too many apples. They have to use a variety of apples, some sweet and some sour to make it perfect. I want it hot and fresh, so that when they put the whipped cream on it, some of it will have started melting over it already. I don't want it with ice cream. That'll ruin it for me. Oh man, after a meal like that... well I'll be ready to... well maybe not. hehe. What would make it the best last meal I've ever had is that someone else made it for me.

So what's in your wallet? I mean, what would your last meal be?

I'll probably have some more to put on, but for now, that imaginary meal has made me hungry. Gotta go.

Have a nice weekend!
Me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm... donuts.