Sunday, January 30, 2005

Man Doth Not Live On Bread Alone

I cannot get over how good bread and butter is (or is it "are" because there are two items? maybe it's "is" like peanut butter and jelly is great! use this as an excuse). There's something magical and warming about bread and butter and when feeling low I don't reach for the ice cream (which is nonexistent) I reach for the bread and butter (which is, most of the time, at a "half full" status because I usually have the butter but never the bread).

It has to be unsalted butter, not that nasty, too salty stuff they give you, that detracts from the bread. The bread has to be toasted, crunchy on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside. Hot enough for the butter to melt on its on accord. The butter causes the bread to sog and when you take a bite the butter is squeezed out of the bread and into your mouth. What's good but not necessary is when you get a good croissant (the homemade ones are the best) or better yet, a flaky, buttermilk biscuit, drenched in butter and drizzled with honey.

Oh. I gotta stop posting these before breakfast.

Last night I explored semi-new territory. I have never been a cream cheese fan (except in cheesecake) and I think it's due to all the times I'd head out to school, in NY, and go to the local bodega for a toasted bagel with cream cheese and find that it was inedible because someone put a big block of c.c. on it. Well I've made crab rangoons and enjoy the chive and cream cheese filling I use in it, so much so that I have come to nibbling on little teaspoons full of onion and chive cream cheese. Well then Rich said, "hey we should have some bagels and cream cheese" and that's what we did, but this time I melted butter on the bagel and topped just a touch of cream cheese on it. It was delicious. Dee-li-shus.

Me.

P.S. Likewise, man doth not live on my blog alone. If anyone would like to be my guest blogger please email me "your blog entry" at the yahoo address of the same name as this blog and write as the subject "guest blog". It will undergo the perfunctory once over but really you have free reign. If it is too "over-the-top" so as to upset your own mother, then I will not post it, but you will receive a reply email telling you why. Also, I will never advertise your email address or who you are unless you wish for me to do so. All blogs written by anyone other than my self will be signed "guest blogger".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD.

--Deuteronomy 8:3

--------
And the tempter came and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."

But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'"

--Matthew 4

Anonymous said...

I think you meant "puto" in your previous blog. The one about the sweet rice. It's steamed.

You should check out the word "puto" on urbandictionary.com and find out what it is you're really eating. lol.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »