Friday, January 14, 2005

Birds of Prey Do Not Flock Together

Yesterday Rich caught site of this enormous bird sitting on our fence post. He thought it was an owl but that didn't make sense since most owls are nocturnal and this was some time in the afternoon, and as we got a better look at it I saw that it was some kind of hawk. It had this fiery chest, and thick yellow leggin's and feet, as well as a turned down vicious looking beak.

Later on that day Rich saw it in our backyard. He called me over and I saw that it was standing on something. That's when I realized it was the white underbelly of a mouse or rat. Then the bird took off with its prey and landed on a far branch. Rich took out his binoculars and did a play-by-play of what the creature was doing. I snuck a peek and saw that it was tearing up that mouse, and I even saw a chunk of meat fall to the ground. It was beautiful. I felt as if I were watching along with Marty Stouffer on Wild America. Rich described as the hawk ripped out the entrails and began to devour it. It dangled off the branch swaying in the breeze.

I still don't know what kind of hawk it is. I took pictures of it and will post it up later. We've never seen such a creature before around here and I'm not even sure if its indigenous to these parts. Perhaps some cruel fellow has decided to free him here in a place that is not its habitat.

I've seen what I thought were hawks, but only driving on the highway, near mountains and pines, and only when they were flying high above me. They were so big it seemed as if they were regular birds flying low but I could tell they were so high up because they disappeared behind some clouds.

Movie Night

I saw "The Village" yesterday, last night to be exact, and I thought it was good. If you haven't seen it, watch it without trying to analyze anything. It's too bad we're so used to looking out for a twist in the movie that we automatically search one out while we watch it. Rich and I decided that we wouldn't look for "clues" or anything, although when it seemed obvious to me I was sure it was obvious to him as well I made a comment... oops. heh. I thought it was a good movie and I know good movies. haha.

Oh and in addition to that, the night before last we saw this one on Starz called "Two Brothers and a Bride" or "A Foreign Affair" with David Arquette-Cox and that was about two brothers looking for someone to take care of them after their mother dies, so they decide to marry a Russian bride who'll cook for them. And the antics ensue. Yeah that was good too.

Okee gotta go all! Have a good day and a great weekend!

Me