Monday, June 07, 2004

Religious Discourse

So Rich and I decided that since we don't go to church* we needed to have our own weekly reminders of why we were placed on this planet (to spread God's word and love one another, but also to reach moral perfection and live a life that would get us into the metaphorical heaven). So we claimed Sundays at 1:00 P.M. to be a time for sermons. Before that day arrives we write our own sermons, and pick fitting readings from any place (not just the bible) to back up or add to our sermons. Like last sunday (our first sermon ever) I picked a passage from Ben Franklin's autobiography to illustrate my point on how this journey of creating a "better" self would be somewhat difficult, but with practice and constant vigilance one will be able to conquer one's "demons". I think it's heading in a good direction. We even sing songs (hymns) and if we have time hopefully we can begin reading the New Testament. We've already finished the gospel of Matthew, now we're starting in on Mark. I really would like to make myself a better person, I mean who really doesn't? But it's so hard since we all come in with prejudices and prior perspectives and habits that are hard to get over. I may not go around screaming obscenities and telling you to your face that you're a big dummy but I'm thinking it. That's the part I have to work on. I think what Rich wants out of this is to someday create a little family of followers in which we will all sing and praise the lord, and in which the military might someday bomb us... heh. I really am serious and hopefully I'll live a life that I can be proud of... though pride is something I'd have to work on as well... haha

So have a good night all! God bless.

Me


*We don't go to church for a few reasons... first off I'm used to going to Catholic Church, though I'm not a true Catholic and Rich is not anything, he's been baptized as Unitarian Universalist... yeah never heard of them til I got here (i think I see more of their churches around than anything else). Anyway so it's weird to just go to whatever church and not be a "member" of the congregation. Also, the one time I convinced him to go to the local catholic church, boy were we ever in for a surprise. I felt as if we had stumbled upon the local KKK meeting, instead of a time for worship, prayer, and such. They said the most shocking things about non-white people and I felt a little funny standing there (or sitting there) being brown and all. Then I don't really believe in the whole pope thing so I'm almost a hypocrite for going to a Catholic church when I am home, but please blame my once protestant mother for all those sentiments. Now that I think of it, why did she ever convert? It was for marriage reasons but she didn't need to since dad has never set foot in church since Mike was baptized... gosh I'm rambling. There was a time when they didn't let girls be altar servers... though I went to a grammar school with an open mind and went to an all girls high school, ya know... there weren't any boys. Anyway, so yeah...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
» »

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. pictures of generic brand 10mg percocet Lexapro usage oxactin fluoxetine Wireless print servers for plotters slot machine odyssey

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »