Thursday, December 16, 2004

Thanks For The Memories

So I'm still in the middle of tidying my room up. It takes so long because I get caught up in the "memories". I sit there and read a journal from when I was 14 and think "oh my gosh, I'm so innocent" or "when was I that smart" or "god, close this up, I'm such a geek" or "what I total spaz I was". Then I found an old stratego board game from the 60's. Mike must have bought it and left it in my room. It's interesting for me because Rich and I bought a newer version of it a while ago and to see this authentic, older version is pretty neat. Like a child who's used to the PS2 seeing an atari game system or something even more ancient. It's just neat is all.

I know I'll just end up shoving everything into the drawers or something anyway but to pretend that I'm doing something noble makes me feel good. haha. I guess Mike and I will do half of the "ultimate pizza challenge" today. I'll have to write out the "scoring cards" so that we can give separate scores to crust, cheese, flavor, texture, size, amount of pepperoni, etc. Can anyone else come up with another category? Then we'll add up the scores and whoever has the highest will be crowned the unofficial ultimate pizza. haha. I wanted to try the California Pizza Kitchen, but when we passed it the other day it looked as if it were an actual restaurant that didn't do take out. I doubt they have plain ole pepperoni anyway.

Ah, but that reminds me. Okay let me just take you back a few. Picture it, Philippines summer of 1980. It's early morning, before the sun has a chance to bake you. It's already humid and there's a haze hanging about. Around the corner there's a faint tinkling of a familiar bell and from inside a little house comes my mom. She's pregnant, flagging down the man with the bell. He's pushing a little cart and she asks him for one of his wares. He reaches into his little thermal cart and pulls out a warm container full of this solid white mass on top of which he drizzles a syrup over. ha

Now, I grew up eating that stuff and to me it's just delicious. I don't know what it's called and when I asked my mom she had forgotten as well. She was under the assumption that it was good for me. It was full of protein and she was convinced that it would make me smart. heh. Well... remember the other day when we saw Aunty Febe at the Golden Village? During Thanksgiving we had gone there as well and I saw this huge container of this white stuff with these little brown syrupy things placed on top. The day we saw Febes (as mom calls her) I asked the woman at the counter if that stuff was sweet and she said "yes". But I didn't have the courage to buy it. Well... yesterday I went on a little trip and bought it! It was warm but I didn't open it til I got home. And I smelled it and it smelled exactly as it used to. I don't know what these chunks of white stuff were but they have the consistency of flan. I have an idea that I spent the afternoon eating tofu. When I was younger I asked mom what it was and she said it was like curds and whey. I envisioned myself as Miss Muppet on my tuppet... But anywho, I devoured half of the container and left the rest to my mom. It really doesn't taste like anything until you drizzle a little sugar syrup on it. I guess poo wouldn't taste so bad if I drizzled a little sugar syrup on it too. haha. Okay so ends this post.

Have a great day all!!
Me

No comments: