Thursday, December 23, 2004

My Sad, Sad Existence and Resolutions

I'm at the parking lot of our local supermarket and it's barely past 7 in the morning. My favorite time to go. I sit in my car just staring out the window and notice that I'm not alone and that the parking lot is getting filled. I watch the old ladies clutching at their purses, in their long trench coats, making their way into the friendly light of the automatic doorway. As I sit in my car I think "whoa, I'm living some sorta sad life, loving this alone time in my car, thinking that I must be the only person up since 4:30, waiting for a "decent" time to rummage around in the big lonely supermarket, then I see that my friends are also solitary old ladies who like to walk around the store in their carts and canes." And I think to myself, "that's me now when it should be me later". ha, if that makes any sense. Then I realize there's something sadder than that. Those "little lonely old ladies" aren't there to shop but are there to work, so I am alone in a big supermarket with the employees and the guy who runs the buffer on the floor.

Lovely day today. It was perfect little-New-England-town-by-the-sea kind of weather. Warm and foggy. I can imagine wearing galoshes/boots and rubber jumper and apron going clam digging or hauling in the fresh catch that the little dinky dinghy just brought in, with the sea spraying its salty mist into my face and making my hair tangle from its brackish assault.

Then this afternoon, I thought to myself "gee I wish mom didn't have to go through the trouble she does trying to type me up a text message." I'm sure it took her nearly ten minutes to type up that text for me when it was only a sentence. Then I thought, "gee I wish Mike could teach her the t9 feature and she'd get it" then I thought, "whoa don't go into that... you know when you wish for that stuff then you get to wishing more more more. Like I wish she knew how to use the internet and emails and ims, or for starters, learn how to use the tv/dvd/vcr combo that we have downstairs". Then that's when it hit me! I always write out a new year's resolution for myself but one should write one for others. Meaning I should make one in which I pass on some valuable skill or knowledge onto someone else. Something that would make their lives a little easier. Right? Something like "teach Mike how to make lasagna" or "train Soot to use the toilet instead of her litter box" haha. Something I know will benefit them. 'Cause you always think about "you, you, you" in the resolutions... well I do anyway, like "eat healthy" or "finish that book" etc. But if you help one person then they wont have to go through the terrible trouble of wasting 15 minutes of their lives trying to type up a message of "got your text. ty. love mom" all in caps. Hmm I'll get on that.

Okay I gotta run. Does anyone know why scallops look like one long, gelatinous tube? heh.
Tomorrow's Christmas Eve!!!! yay.

Me

p.s. if someone asked me what my favorite time was, I'd say "time to eat". haha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My special time alone is sometime between 1am and 4am. It sometimes feels like i'm all alone and "solitary". It feels like i'm the only one up in the world. I don't think it's sad though. I like it.

and in buddhism, one should become comfortable in remoteness and in solitude. and it seems in buddism, we should almost revert to living like animals in a way... living quietly and free from deeper human meanings of things... just live life as it really is... wake, urinate, get food, eat food, deficate, eat more food, sleep.

is it really better to be a spoiled, self-centered busy-body, gossiping the day away and unsuccesfully trying to appease all your cravings than to be like a quiet meditative animal living in simplistic harmony with the natural world?

Anonymous said...

That is a good idea with resolutions, in fact I have one to give you. This is great. And I'm sure you'll be very receptive and agree that it will be a valuable skill or give you more knowledge. Oh, I can't wait!!

Anonymous said...

sorry didn't mean to portray my time alone as lonely. I really do find it one of the more enjoyable hours of the day. my old commutes to school with the radio off and Boston Harbor on my left were some wonderful times spent in the solitary confinement of the car. And I do enjoy just sitting around watching the early morning people pile into the supermarket but I don't do it too much for fear someone might think I'm crazy or worse, a weirdo. Only works in the mornings though. I don't think I can take it if it were a busy afternoon with mothers and screaming children and poor old men who can't find their vehicles.

Oh and I can't wait for your resolution solution. woo.