Sunday, October 31, 2004

Oiche Samhain!

Sundown marks the beginning of All Hallow's Eve, or Hallow Evening, Hallow E'en. It seems that this is one of the few "holidays" that celebrates the eve and not the actual day. I like every holiday's eve better that I do the day. It's still exciting on the eve and after that it's just blase. So tomorrow is " all holy person's day" (hallowed be thy name... All Saints Day) but tonight is for those who aren't so holy. Belief says it's the night when ghosts and spirits can roam freely,-when the curtain that separates this world and the underworld is at its thinnest. That's why we dress up like ghoulies, so they can't tell us from what we truly are... flesh covered ghoulies. So enjoy your candies and everything else.

Now listen to this, Filipinos celebrate something similar to Mexicans' "dia del muerte" (araw ng mga patay) or day of the dead, ... oh I gotta edit that, "roman catholic filipinos" celebrate All Soul's Day, and I always believed that the mexicans' celebration as well as filipinos' to be a posthispanic thing, when they brought along their christian beliefs, but it turns out theirs (Mexicans) is prehispanic while Filipino's is posthipanic... although I'm sure someone could argue that. I remember as a kid having a "fiesta" and lighting candles and just having a merry old time. What I fail to remember are trips to the graveyard and prayers and mass. By the way, All Soul's Day lands on Nov. 2, though it should be more like Easter-type holidays that are dictated by the actual day rather than the date. (It's usually on a monday, because all saint's day should land on a sunday). But that's enough fact finding and checking for now. Most things above were found on google. (That's my disclaimer). Gotta run. I might be an astronaut for halloween! yay!!
Have a good night and a good rest of the week. I think my brother's going to be Super Mario. haha.

Me.

No comments: