Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Rainy days and Wednesdays

Silly me, I didn't lug along an umbrella when I went to the supermarket this morning and so got a little drenched walking to my car both times. It seemed only to pour when I went to my car, never from. It's been a bit drizzly here and I guess it's good to have at 9 in the morning when at the supermarket no one is walking about... not even the oldies but goodies, or as mom calls them, "ta-tang-agers" ("tatang" is like another word for old people) (it's a play on "teenagers"). But it's a good day to cook and so I set about baking a cake for Linda's b-day, chocolate chocolate, meaning both cake and frosting are chocolate. I don't like the way my yellow cakes turn out, though Rich appreciates my lemon cakes, but that's a different issue. Then I made some chili con carne, for Scott ... I wasn't counting on it being so good though. heh. Ya just gotta be in the know. sucks for you.

Speaking of cooking... if you cook for her kids too then you're underpaid. Mind you I got paid $50 an hour when I took care of her kids and I didn't have to cook, though I woulda been happy to. P.S. you're taking care of more kids. When I did it there were only three of them and they were little enough that I could boss them around. heh. (I'd ask for more... use college as an excuse). Well I hope you're saving your money. But I guess it's all good. I hope my cake is good. Have a great, if rainy, day. Don't get washed down.

me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

according to what i read, in the NJ and CT areas, they were paying about $8-$10 an hour to a college aged baby-sitter.

in some rural places they were paying about $5 an hour or $2 per hour per child. those were not necessarily for college aged though.

they didn't mention cooking though, so i would definitely charge more than the $10/hour if cooking were involved. I would also charge more due to the high quantity of children. I'm thinking... $20 per hour at the very least for this particular situation.

Michelle said...

well then at $40/hour I guess he's doing good... but I would ask for more for cooking. that's a big job!

Michael "Paz" Pascua said...

Hey, like mother always tells me, "When I was a kid, I did everything to make some money." I figure it's best for me to even try a "job". Hell what did the last babysitting extravaganza involve? I brought Dance Dance Revolution so that the girls (and for 2 games, Kelvin) could play. I mean, I really wouldn't concider baby-sitting the way I do a real job anywho. Technically for 12 hours, 7-7, My rate would be 3.33 an hour. I guess i'm pulling off the "illegal immigrant that will take a pay cut, just to get a job"

Anywho, mom never told me about "Ta-tang-agers". I mean we laugh when the "Singing in the rain" pops up and the person at the veggies isn't paying attention and gets misted and stuff like that, but no ta-tang-agers.