Sunday, April 18, 2004

Excellent Victuals? II

So Mike and I were walking around Boston, enjoying the sites and starving to death. A few days previous to his arrival I was feening for Chinese Food and looked up some good Chinese restaurants in Boston. After a few minutes of searching I found that P.F. Chang's was not only close to where we were gonna be, (a few blocks away) but ranked number two in two of the searches I went to for taster's choice of Chinese Food in Boston. This is a quote from our local station (WHDH) Channel 7, from their site, "Three cheers for our second place winner – PF Chang’s in Boston's Theater District. Have dinner, then catch a show. The restaurant's fun, lively atmosphere is an event all by itself."
This is from Best of Citysearch, "Best Chinese Food: 2002 Audience Winners" Voted P.F. Chang's number two. So I said "oh yeah, that's nice." We get in, are seated, mind you not an Asian soul in the place, (they have a site but I'd rather not promote it). Looks nice from the front and some good food smell. Seated, we glance at the menu and Mike suggests we get an appetizer of spare ribs, and he decided to try the sweet and sour chicken and I wanted the kung pao chicken (one of my favorites) and we also got some pork fried rice to share (all family style) for our entrees. First off we both order Sprites, and it comes back tasting like seltzer water without the lemon-lime sweetness. (Gross). I'm not the type to ask to bring it back for fear of drinking someone's spit next time, so I let it pass. When our spare ribs came it was good, but too hot. Then our foood came and though Mike's s&s chicken was okay, my kung pao wasn't spicy at all and it was too salty. Ew. And the pork fried rice? You know how you have pork fried rice and it has the reddish pork from spareribs in it? Ours had chopped up pork thrown into the rice, and it wasn't good at all. So an overall disappointing experience.

My last comment is that people in Boston must not know what they're talking about, concerning food. I could get really good chinese food in new york from my corner take-out joint! J.C.! And on our rounds about the city we passed a California Pizza kitchen, (something I wanted to try live since I've had their good frozen pizzas) and was sorry to say that since we had just eaten I couldn't try it. I haven't had good luck with restaurants around here. Once, Rich and I went to a Legal Seafood (based in Boston, and supposedly fresh seafood everyday) and came out disappointed (never again). For F's sake, this is Boston, we should have good, fresh seafood right? Wrong! Once I got take-out for us, from this place right by the water that everyone raves about, and as Rich was about to put a forkful of swordfish in his mouth he found a hook in it!! Imagine the consequences. No wonder everyone thinks I'm such a good cook, they have crappy food everywhere. Ugh. Boston, boo. Will write more on our trip later. As Rich says, "you shoulda left as soon as you saw that there were no asians running the place." and as dad say's "you should suggest to them that they change the name to 'P.U. Chang's".

Here's a pic, if you're ever in Boston. Keep away. P.S. It was too dark too. Ya know what that means...



No comments: