Sunday, September 26, 2004

Post 401, the Finality of Things and the Connectivity of Things

This happens to be post number 401! Yay! What do I win? A chance to write more posts! Isn't that absolutely wonderful?

So we watched the Star Wars trilogy this weekend. Good set of movies, I must admit. And as the Ewoks and the rebels danced, (terpsichorean) beneath the shower of fireworks and the orbit of two moons, I was struck with the thought of, "what happens now? what happens the next day? the next year?" I digress here just to say that my least liked part of reading a book is the end when I can no longer continue the world in which these characters live. I've noticed that the books I read have slowly drifted from the "happily ever after" endings of childhood to a more ambiguous cut from their world. The reader is left in the middle of the action sometimes, unable to go along with the rest of the ride. I find this to be much more realistic. What happens when the ball drops on New Years? What happens after that world series ticker tape parade? What happens after the last drop of rain falls? What happens when a loved one dies? Life. The minute ticks past the 12 into the next minute. The sweepers come along and clean the streets. The sun comes out and everything dries up. What happened after 9/11? We said we would never forget and yet during the remembrance I was shocked to find that I had forgotten that a plane had crashed into the pentagon and into Pennsylvania farmland. We remember and celebrate all thinga that are momentous and then we go on with life. It almost makes me feel bleak. But then the celebrations, the devastations make us wake up to the realization of life. After anything happens that affects our lives we just go on and continue with it. There is no "finality" of anything. hmm.

For today's church, my sermon was entitled "The Connectivity of Things".
While watching the hurricane hit Florida I thought to myself, "ya know what, why do I care? That has nothing to do with me, it wouldn't affect me at all." Then I realized everything effects me even in the most miniscule of ways. In a basic, selfish manner I should be concerned of what is happening because the orange groves are devastated, making the price of oranges go up! But in more humanistic ways you have to realize that these are people who need help, who have lost everything, who might one day give you a hand and help you stand up, and even if this never happens... we're all brothers and sisters and we're supposed to be here to help one another up when we stumble.

Although... there are some exceptions... heh. I'm not perfect.
Have a great rest of the week.

Me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Individual dental insurance plan us Indesit evolution dishwasher hard drive autoclave Lifted chevy toyota trucks Way around parental controls http://www.two-lips-shoes.info/awww-celexa-com.html How is concerta taken Buick gmc hoffer pontiac Prozac 2c side effects 2c ocd

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »