Friday, February 18, 2005

Tick-tock, Tick-tock
(come on, the name of my site is a spin off from their song, might as well do it again. Besides, it's relevant)



I think my biological clock is ringing the alarm again. The last time I heard it and actually listened I got a cat as a reward. A few weeks ago I awoke in the middle of the night by this noise: tick, tick, tick, tick. It wasn't loud and eventually I fell asleep to its hypnotic lull. The next morning I woke up and physically felt an urge to have a baby. After I came back from morning bathroom break I realized that the feeling was something else, but I was left with a sense of missing something.

I really can't say "missing" something since I feel enough in my little family of three but really something is "amiss". That's when I began a search for a little companion for Soot. That seemed to relieve a lot of the pressure. I looked into another cat but felt that it would be just strange and uncomfortable for my Sooty and I really am not a cat person. Don't get me wrong, I loooove Sooty but I really am a dog person. Real dogs, mind you. Not some big rat posing as a dog. I hate little dogs. I can't get a dog for several reasons, one being that it would not do well to have an Siberian Husky since it's just not fair to my cat. I know I would pay the dog more attention because it needs it more and that's wrong and cruel.

Then I thought, well how about a little "pet-pet" for Sooty. I always feel a little guilty for having had her spayed. I know I wouldn't appreciate it if someone told me 'we're going to remove your ovaries which will not allow you to produce children'. Also I wish we didn't keep her overnight at the vet's, although they insisted that they must. That's just traumatic.

So I took Rich to the pet store under the impression that we would be buying grass for Sweety Bunch (Soot) but really it was to have a look at the kinds of animals they had there. Now I'm not a rat fan, nor do I like mice, but I guess the bigger the rodent, the less afraid I am of it. Why it's not the opposite fazes me. Not a fan of gerbils, they look too much like mice. But hamsters are bigger and actually cuter. But they're nocturnal. Then we saw the guinea pigs and although they're bigger and actually diurnal, there's something gross about them. I think it's their tubular bodies, looks as if they outgrew it and are just too bulbous.

Then we just went bigger and I realized what the perfect companion for Sooty would be. A bunny. I looked it up online and found that cats and bunnies become great companions despite the predator and prey relationship, to the point that sometimes bunnies will dominate the cat and owners will find the cat grooming the rabbit. heh. I thought a grey bunny would be so cute. A grey bunny and a grey cat. I loved the idea. Also bunnies are litter box trained and keep the same routine as cats.

I thought about going bigger, such as a baby but that's almost as bad as having a dog since it'll take all the attention from Sooty and I just wouldn't be able to bear that. I think it's tortuous to do that to something that had your undivided attention for years and to suddenly replace it and have no time for it. I know from experience how it is to be the 'only' child for 6 years and then to be upstaged by the newcomer. Luckily my parents made it seem as if I was going to be the special big sister and I had four years living in a large family where there was always a new baby being born and I was still special and had enough attention from everyone. But that's having a big family and I can't explain this all to my cat who I can imagine would be devastated.

I know she gets upset when I leave for a week to go to NY so I can imagine what would happen when I no longer pay her the attention that she gets from me now. Because of all that and a bag of chips I've pressed the snooze on my ticking clock. I will have children and I will know to pay attention to all my babies, even the biggest of them all, I call him Rich. It's on the back burner on low so it wont require my attention for a little while longer. Hopefully it wont boil over and leave me in a mess.

Have a great weekend all!
Did you know that female cats are called 'Queens'? That's exactly what Victoria is.

Me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe that feeling you had was an unfinished doot?
I'd say to first try some hobbies and getting out more. Then if that dosen't work then get a small rodent or bunny. You could spend your time trying to keep the cat from attacking it.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
Sussex golf and curling club women&aposs breast implant Best mortgages in the united kingdom saab engines Lamborghini murciealgo Car gps map navigation Subaru wrx sti interior Fantasy baseball + message board Cobra car alarms us Major league baseball salaries Hoting website host hosting domains create website website Universal racquet & fitness center lancaster pennsylvania Maize baseball Golf shirts athletic fit