Thursday, February 17, 2005

"FF"

You know what? I dislike dvd's. Why? Because I now have the power to fast forward and skip the parts I'd have to be forced to watch in the movies. This 'ability' also transfers to other things.

Here's an example:

See there, on the right hand side of my blog. Yeah, scroll down a little. Keep going... ooh, right there! Under the heading "Books I'm Reading" (catchy huh?). Well that's been there for quite a while now. You know why? Fast Forwarded through it. I got to a part I didn't like and said, "hmm, I'm just going to hafta put this book away, I am feeling a little distress" then my mind said, "hey guess what, just press that button and the fingers will do the walking, maybe we can find a part that wont distress ya so bad." Well I did and I haven't and so I ended it without really finishing it.

Now I knew it was going to be about slavery (a good book to read during Black History Month) and I knew I could not handle things like that because I tend to suffer along with the characters and probably hate the whole of human existence for a very long time, until of course it does something funny and gets me laughing again. But it won the Pulitzer and it looked intriguing, (how many times do I have to tell you that I do judge a book by its cover), but I couldn't hack it.

We look at eachother and we both know it's not going to work out but we're still hanging on. Maybe one day I'll find the courage to just put it away or maybe I'll just magically replace it with another book, the thing I'm more likely to do. I still peruse it, a little aimlessly but I try because we have had good times together and I think "I could try a little bit, for good times' sake" but it just doesn't catch my attention. I just know all its secrets. And really, who's fault is that? My own.

I would like the 'FF' button on life, but I'd like it paired up with the 'RW' button as well. (Yes, my cake and eat it too), so that I can say, "eh this is a yucky part, let's see how it turns out," then "ooh ooh, that looks like a good part, back up a minute!" heh. Well whaddaya gonna do? Can't have it that way. Just live it to the best of your abilities.

I will read my book, but poor thing will be deemed the 'bathroom' book because that's the only time I'll have to read it. Don't get me wrong, it's a very, very good book, I just happened to find that I read through the wonderful parts and fast forwarded 'til I couldn't stop and the credits were rolling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, there are a lot of books and a lot of other entertainment venues. If you aren't being entertained then "flip the channel". Life is too short and there are too many other sources of entertainment including other books to be lollygagging on one that you don't like.

On the otherhand, if reading is not entertainment but "learning" then perhaps you should trudge through it. Or, you could skim it like you did in order to gleam the important parts such as you would while researching.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
pdas Auto body kit installers in lebanon nh area Craps for Unscramble scrabble letter 29 slots problems with neurontin