Monday, February 21, 2005

P.D.A.

Alright, in a certain sense we've all committed this. We've held hands with our parents and even hugged a friend whom you have not seen in a long time, on the street. That's not uncomfortable. I don't mind couples holding hands and giving eachother a light kiss and moving on.

Yesterday I was at the supermarket. No, the other one, 5 miles away. On line at the checkout aisle there were two old men talking it up before me. As I stood there a while a woman came along and got in front of me and I thought, 'whoa, is she trying to cut me?' then I saw one of the men say something to her and I thought, 'oh that must be her grandfather. Probably has to drive him home'. Now that is not an ageist comment because the majority of people who shop there at the time I went were older people and there is usually a swarm of cabs and elderly buses outside, waiting to pick up their passengers who can no longer drive. It was an easy conclusion (or assumption, but when you assume...). Besides, when walking down an aisle I have to check that there's not a traffic jam since they clog the aisle with their slow moving vehicles. Now that's an ageist comment.

So, I thought, 'yep, look at that, she's even brought him the Sunday Boston Globe, well that's sweet of her. oh look she's holding his arm to guide him to the checkout girl, oh and she's whispering encouranging words to him so that he can make it along. what a sweet granddaughter she is. Oh look a quick peck. Wait a minute... wha??'

This is when I realized that she was not clutching his arm but holding his hand and those weren't whispers, she was nibbling on his ear! and they were making out right in front of me!! Then she lets go of his hand and he gives her a swat on the behind which only makes her want to make out with him some more. God I almost gagged on site. I looked behind me to see if the woman also caught a look, but she was busy looking up at the lights on the ceiling.

Okay, it was my assumptions that made me feel icky. First he was an older gentleman, like white haired and cane. She was a younger woman, like perky... everything. But what made it worse was that whenever they stopped their sessions (it was a long line) she would look over at me in a defiant way. The first time I saw them nibbling and it registered that that was not whispering I immediately focused my eyes somewhere else. Like the breakdown of Nick and Jess' marriage. But I caught her looking at me as if to say, "yeah, and what?". I must have had a disgusted look plastered to my face. Don't you hate that?

Anyway, so they left. I paid for my items. Heavy cream and ground beef. mmm. Then I went on my way.

Made me want to go back to the other supermarket and face the uncomfortable thoughts swimming around unsaid on sushi guy's and bagger's face. Theirs' say 'gimme some P.D.A.'

Me.

P.S. Happy P.D.A. in which case, P.D.A. stands for Presidents' Day Activities.