Monday, March 21, 2005

Southern Comfort

So you're probably wondering what we are doing to get ready for the move down south. Particularly to a red state, surrounded by other red states. Well I'll tell you anyway.

We've taken to watching the Blue Collar Tours on comedy central and practicing our southern accents. We follow one another all day long saying things like, "you may-uh be uh rednick..." and "dang ol' " and I like to say "Well, goo' lord!" and "lord, forgive me". I've also become fond of Paula Deen's show on Food Network. Rich and I say "awl" as in "put some of dat olive awl in the pa-yun". It's like taking a trip to Spain and learning the few Spanish catchphrases we can in a little amount of time.

Now don't get me wrong, like Spanish 'theys' alot of regional differences in the accents but we figured that just any southern accent will do. Sometimes I practice by myself and find that in one sentence I've clumped together a sweet Georgian drawl with a Virginny tidewater twang and finish it off with some Texan cowboy flair. We are so afraid of being stopped by some southern, gentlemanly officer of the law only to have him say to us: "I don't know how dey drive up der in uh-Massachusetts, but dow-un heer, in (fill in southern state), we rispict the speed limit." Lord forgive me.

I've also developed a liking for the southern foods... heh. Okay, I've always loved me some mashed taters, co-uwn bread, fried chickun, gravy, collard greens, jambalaya, pecan pie, biscuts with buttah, and fixin's. I've also started cooking tacos and chili more. No more cold-weather foods, such as apple pies and chicken potpies! Gimme sum of dat der ooey goodness. Ooowee. We're fixin to have ourselves a parteh. Tha's shur lookeen' mighty fine.

In addition, we've learned a few songs as well. I can sing you some songs like "Dixie" (Dixieland)... hmm, well let's just say they're songs from the Civil War period. I already love Alabama's "Sweet Home Alabama" and I enjoy the "pop" country stars like Faith Hill and Shania Twain. I looove bluegrass/bayou music. I've yet to develop a liking for Garth Brooks but don't worry, I'm working on it. I can sing you "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers. haha.

Oh I wish I was in Dixie.
Hooray.

Have a good week all!
Me.

P.S. Oh my god, Julie! I'm gonna die on Wednesday, February 7th 2085!! I'll be 105 years old!! Da-yum.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too busy laughin to leave a comment!!

Anonymous said...

actually, i am a southern girl myself. i have an accent, yes, but i don't talk like i'm out of the back-woods. (when i think about it, though, my accent gets thicker than it was before) i am an educated person, but i am also quite proud of my southern roots. and we don't necessarily say "mashed taters" down here. i usually just say mashed potatos. i have never had collard greens and i don't understand why you wouldn't make apple pie anymore. everyone in the south loves 'em. also, i don't think alabama has done a cover of "sweet home alabama", maybe i'm wrong on that one, but lynyrd skynyrd wrote and sings that song. and the singers you mentioned that you like, while some of them are actually southern i.e., faith hill, uh... shania twain isn't--she's from canada. i like them, too, but i think you need to listen to some of the older country music like pirates of the mississippi or nitty gritty dirt band or johnny cash or hank williams, sr. or early nineties era, or maybe some brad paisley/tim mcgraw/little big town then you might get a feel for the southern ways. also, if you wanna go out on a limb, listen to shooter jennings (southern rock) and just so you know, just because country/blue grass/gospel are all part of the southern region doesn't mean we don't like other types of music, too. we do listen to other kinds of music. i mean, if you asked mamaw about some rapper, she wouldn't know what you were even talking about, but teenagers and young adults would understand ya. :)

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Hiking island park idaho Vw limo How do i pre qualify for a mortgage copy dvd rating software boating Incar mp3 players Buy check ionamin am+bentley+dierks+doin+i+lyric

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »