Tuesday, March 01, 2005

License and Sponsors

Yesterday Rich and I scooted over to White Plains City Clerks' Office to get our marriage license. Luckily I had found their website about a week ago and also called them and so I knew what it was that they wanted from us... as in forms of identification. Now if we had done this in the boroughs all they ask of you is your driver's license and birth certificate but in 'picky' White Plains, when I called they asked if I was born here in the good ole u.s. of a., when I answered in the negative I was told that I needed either my passport or my naturalization certificate. I have somehow managed to misplace my passport and had to ask my parents for the n.c.

So off we trudged. We parked at the Galleria and walk about 5 minutes to the building. It was grey and overcast, threatening to send snow in our direction at any minute. We crossed the lanes of traffic and found ourselves in a quieter area on main street, where the roads happen to diverge. A quick little step more and we were right in front of this building that looked like a school. We stepped in and found ourselves in a high ceiling entrance with a staircase before us and many doors to the left and right of us.

"Where do we go?" Rich asked.
"Hmm, that's the one thing I forgot to ask," I mumbled. I led him to a little board on the wall that told us the names and various offices that were held within the building.
We would have stayed there all day had not a woman come out a few seconds after we came in and asked if she may help us. I then turned and gave her my sweetest, endearing little smile, and in my wide-eyed innocent voice (the one Mike makes fun of me of) said, "yes can you tell me where we can get a marriage license?"
"Sure, it's that office right over there," and she pointed to a middle door to our left. The one that said:
City Clerk Office:
Marriage, Birth, Death Licenses
Animal Licenses

And so we step in and are helped by this lovely woman who barely says anything to us except "sign here and here" and "That'll be $40" and "thank you".
So I had to force a few names outta her, which she gave begrudgingly, but since I was holding her daughter hostage... wait different story.
We asked her for the names of a couple of judges that were able to do the ceremony (since they don't perform them there) and she wrote down two names.

Well we drove home. We decided to have some pizza but before that I called the first judge on the list. That's when I was acquainted with the fact that judges are also practicing attorneys. I had forgotten that fact. I was surprised to hear, "Bender, Bender, Smith and Bender, how may I help you?"
"Umm... uhh, marriage license?"
"He's in court, here's his voicemail".
"Oh, uh, voicemail?" crap "Hello, this is Michelle Hellegood. I'm wondering if I can make an appointment for a marriage ceremony? If you could give me a call at my # that would be great. Please call me anytime this afternoon."

Then I said, "hey let's get the pizza now" and so we drove off to "Catanias" (which happened to come in last place in our ultimate pizza challenge) but we really couldn't get anywhere else and Catania's looked busy so we prefer busy over non-busy (which means that no one's buying the pizza) but whilst waiting the 20 minutes it takes to make a pizza I saw that I had missed a message from someone and I wasn't sure if that was the judge. d-oh

"Didn't we decide to call after we bought the pizza" Rich asked.
"Yep, but then we called and I got hungry and well, you forgot too." Lovely. We're all discumbobulated. Is that how you spell that?

Anywho, to make and all ready long story somewhat shorter, I called the other judge who had a very nice (i mean it this time) receptionist/secretary who booked me for Wednesday at 2 p.m.
"This is our address. We are in a house." Ah! Lovely, it'll be intimate. "The fee is $75" oh. Can't people just make it their "civi" duty to marry you without any fees? Whatever.

Later that evening I called Julie's mom to ask if she'll be my "sponsor" (mom's term) (my witness) she said "of course" and I tried to call Aunty Susie too but her husband answered and I'm not sure he understood what I said, so I told him I'd call back tomorrow. Blah blah blah.

Here I am typing away. Okee, it's snowing it up and I gotta go catch up on blogs I missed. See you all soon. I'm getting married tomorrow and I think I'm breaking out in hives. hmm. Niicce.

Me.