Thursday, March 02, 2006

Luncheon Meats

My favorite lunch meat would have to be roast beef. Probably because it doesn't taste as processed as every other one out there. To be specific I like Boar's Head roast beef. If they don't have it, I don't want it.

My first encounter with l-meats was somewhere in grade school when my mom thought that we should try some "White food" for lunch, because we were getting mercilessly made fun of for our chicken adobo... I really don't recall that, but all I know is mom decided we should give ham and cheese, bologna and cheese, salami and cheese and turkey sandwiches a try. My mom had never bought deli meats before and so she turned to television for inspiration. Damn you catchy Oscar Meyer jingles!

That began our descent into the underworld of "white people food". Dems must be devils, to eat dat nasty stuff. And paired with our sumptious deli selections? Of course, what other than Kraft American Singles that were individually packaged. Mmm. That's because of all those cute kid commercials, where they're talking about the cow jumping over the moon because it was made out of cheesey goodness.

I think that was why, for a very, very, long time I thought cheese was disgusting and wouldn't eat it. (I liked that weird, non-yellow cheese on pizza though.)

I think we finally broke down and asked her to just make us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which was my lunch time staple for about 8 years.

So I never strayed too close to the deli counter until my wedding day. But you all know that story.

Happy anniversary!
Me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, when I was a kid I ate ham, bologna, salami, turkey, roast beef, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!! And I used to be white!! I guess it really was "white people food".

For cheese I had cheese from the deli - such as provolone or swiss. If you woulda stayed at the deli, your cheese would have been fine. I would sometimes have mustard too on the meat too.