Monday, March 20, 2006

"From the withered tree, a flower blooms"

Happy Spring! When I was younger, and living in the northeast, every fiber of my being would ache for spring. I love winter and fall is my favorite season, but spring goes by so quickly that when I blinked it was over and all I'd get was a passing glimpse of the tulips and crocuses.

Where we lived in Massachusetts, I'd drive around the town and there would be these beautiful glorious hills of blue crocuses and that's when I knew it was spring and immediately following would be the daffodils and jonquils.

I remember walking up from the bus stop, after a long day of school, and still wearing a light jacket, and catching a whiff of the magnolias, cherry blossoms and dogwood blooms and just feeling a lightness in my heart after the long winter.

I think I'm going through some sort of withdrawal for the seasons. Driving down the road and seeing the cows and horses at pasture, and seeing everyones' flowers popping out really makes the air shimmer and sparkle with the idea of new life.

Happy day all.

Me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds nice in remeberance but so do a lot of things.

i have typically found that nostalgia eventually leads to sadness. when i engage in it i usually try to stop. it is trying to label something as a static condition. things in reallity aren't so static and can't be recreated.

i'd concentrate on your last sentiment about "new life" and how you can see the horses and cows (which is neat - it's like living in the country but you're not).

life is more about flow and change - static images of things gone by is clinging onto non-reality.

-Brought to you by your local Buddhist scholar.