Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Reverse Side Also Has A Reverse Side
Japanese Proverb

We go back and forth about whether I want to be enlightened. I say it's too much fun living in worldly pleasures and he tells me that it's much better when I am enlightened. He thinks he was brought here to help me out and to finally achieve it, I think I was brought here to test him and make him resist, wallow with me and the other swine, drinking others' urine but claiming it delicious! He tries so hard to not think, to silence his mind and I'm busy scheming and wondering and hoping.

All this goes on while our cat raises her sleepy head (efficient killer that she is), licks her paw and goes back to sleep, more zen than either of us.

Me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to study my cat and lived my life around the philosophy that if my cat does not do it then it is not "natural" and I should not do it either. It did help in terms of learning to think of myself as just another animal.

If I look at cats today though, I can see the anger and frustration that can build in them and their lack of control. So I don't use cats as a basis of spiritual growth since discipline is the lesson that needs to be learned.

There are many times where I can't sleep because my mind is "busy scheming and wondering and hoping". Don't forget our similarities. And don't forget that underneath any show of restraint, there is something there that is being restrained. Murderous, lustful, deceitful thoughts go through the minds of ALL humans - it is our heritage.

Sometimes the thoughts are too much to handle and you want a release from their poison. In comes the search for enlightenment and freedom. That search rarely begins from being too happy - it is usually those who have the worst thoughts and need to escape them.

So if anything, you are too happy and satisfied with your life on Earth. Which is interesting and a perhaps and good balance to my dissatisfaction.

And if you monitor yourself, like I monitor you, you will notice that the majority if not all of your "evil" scheming shows itself during your PMS time of month. PMS has been the cause of every major conflict we have had and the cause of every time you wanted to break up. And once PMS is over you are back to being a happy-go-lucky person.

I have thought that some mental training might help you to handle the rush of hormones that poisons your mind in the way that mental training has helped to relieve me of the poison that goes on in my own mind.