Monday, October 17, 2005

To Autumn

Yesterday at 4:45 in the morning I drove to work.

The windows were rolled half-way down and as I passed the field where the spotted cows grazed I saw nothing but low-lying mist and felt only a warm blanket of earth's breath. Alone on the road I heard only the sound of the wind caught up in the opening beside me, whipping my hair around.

Ahead of me an almost full moon marked my course on the dark roads. I remembered that in China, the mid-Autumn moon is celebrated by women because it is in the dark or feminine half of the year. Here I was, celebrating some ritual from unknown ancestors, coming out and praising the moon.

I felt the fullness of living, when Summer has o'er brimmed and spilled its intoxicated madness, blending in with the mellow softness of fall days creating the sweet ripened, richness of life.

I was surrounded in moonlight, mist and wind. My cup runneth over.

Me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds nice. Is the same situation possible in the cold climate's autumn or is this pecular to a warmer autumn?

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »