Monday, April 25, 2005

Compromises and Substitutions or Better Luck Next Time

In the drudgery that is known as Florida there is hardly a decent supermarket. I have substituted my self-service aisles of big, clean, spacious Stop and Shop, for the dank, gloomy, smelly, tiny quarters of Publix Supermarket. I do however, like the people that work there. What I don't like are the prices of food, the terrible selection on everything (I have to buy my zucchini pre-packaged rather than being able to pick which ones I like) and the fact that they no longer carry Krispy Kreme donuts in my nearest supermercado.

In the drudgery that is known as Massachusetts, while we lived in a very nice town, there never was a feeling of community. Now we live in an enclosed little area and I've met a few people who are cheery and gossipy and have kids! I'm expecting a big turn out for Halloween, especially since I've had my costume in mind for awhile now. I wasn't sure if I'd see any kids but on the day of the picnic it seems as if they crawled out from every rock, tree, nook and cranny there was. There were more kids than adults. Hopefully they'll be good kids and not the punks/brats in Massachusetts.

In the drudgery that is Florida, well ok, it's a peninsula but where we live there is no sign of the ocean nearby. I miss the feeling of endlessness, of humbleness when looking out onto an eternity of water and knowing that it connects me to someone miles and miles away. Here, we are the Land o' Lakes. Lakes everywhich way you go. Small, big, medium... all full of alligators.

Speaking of Land o' lakes, I've slowly devoured the rest of my Mass. stash of goodies. One was this butter that was homemade and delicious. I didn't make it at home, someone else did and marketed it to the local supermarket and in a blind taste test it won hands down. We've looked around and I found this butter that was from Denmark and it's a pretty good substitution. Bad substitution and lousy compromise is the water. Bleh. No crisp, clean Poland Spring. Although the Fiji water isn't bad. But it's expensive. Another stash was my cat's food, the dry kind, which they only seem to like to sell in "wholesale" mode, meaning I have to buy a twenty pound bag of it as if my cat's gonna go on a seafood diet/ see-food.

I've left behind a "community bathroom" for one in my own room, which is a one up, but I've left behind two rooms to the one that we have now, which is a downer.

One thing that isn't a substitution and one I'd miss dearly is Ray's New York Bagels, which they sold at my supermarket. I cried out an "alleluia selah" when I saw those at our local one.

Well in a world of compromise, I'll take any creature comfort I can find.

Me.

P.S. I forgot to mention that we finally got a new mirror for our bathroom. In our old one, we had two so as a couple we could brush our teeth without banging elbows with one another. The only problem is that our mirror looks like that "The Ring" mirror. You know, the one where the weird woman is brushing her hair in. Well, to make matters worse I like to use the bathroom in the wee hours of the morning and my eyes are still light sensitive so I don't turn on the lights, but the mirror is directly across from the toilet, just a few inches up so you don't catch a glance of yourself on the bowl. I leave the door a teeny bit open and the other mirror reflects light into the mirror that I am staring at and it creates an eerie little glow in the mirror and as I pee last night's water, I am covered in goosebumps from my wicked imagination.

And there is your "too much information" for the day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that you are 45 minutes via backroads to Dinney World. Also, you are near a Walmart and multiple home-improvement stores (both Lowes AND the Home Depot!!!). Don't forget that you are near many super markets including ones that stock Krispy Kremes... plus you are nearby a REAL Krispy Kreme store. Also don't forget that your mall is the Mall at Millenia... they did not have anything in the same universe in MA. Plus the mall in MA was going severely down-hill.

As far as stores and external activities, FL is a clear upgrade to any place I've been. The only issue so far has been the closest super market's lack of selection.

As far as living conditions, having a seperate bathroom might put it in the upgrade position. There are some living condition issues such as the lack of rooms and non-secluded kitchen and the the thin walls (they are a little thicker now that the place has been furnished and decorated).

Anonymous said...

And as far as drudgery, I'm just not seeing it. I sure saw it in MA though. I left that sinking ship right on time.

And maybe FL will become one too but until then, it is decent living for the time being.

Orlando is up and coming and so has newer and nicer stuff than the North East.

The south will rise again!!! Dixie Land forever!!

Anonymous said...

ahem... I try not to inform people where it is exactly I live.

What's wrong with having thin walls? Or do you not want people hearing our business?

45 minutes on a good day but I'll tell you what, driving to Disney sure is a gas guzzler. But I'm not paying for it, am I?

Yeah and the mall is so nice I can't even afford shopping there. What's the sense?

Do you think that the strip joints and psychic parlors are an upgrade or downgrade?

But maybe the up and coming section will get rid of those, unless it already up and came and now we're heading for a severe nose dive.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, no sense arguing over big apples and orange counties. I just want peace and quiet man. A simple, no frills lifestyle with as little stress as possible. God has shown me the path and all I want to do is step on it and travel it to the end. I'll go where the least resistance is. You know, you get real contemplative when you watch old Tom Cruise movies such as All the Right Moves on the Women's Entertainment channel. It's back on... gotta go....

Anonymous said...

Hey man, no sense arguing over big apples and orange counties. I just want peace and quiet man. A simple, no frills lifestyle with as little stress as possible. God has shown me the path and all I want to do is step on it and travel it to the end. I'll go where the least resistance is. You know, you get real contemplative when you watch old Tom Cruise movies such as All the Right Moves on the Women's Entertainment channel. It's back on... gotta go....

Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
http://ww1hykqw.blogspot.com/ pregnant women photo sex Aggressive behaviour in classrooms outdoor+nude+pregnant+women Req betting Get a prescription for oxycontin Automobile insurance cancellation Celeba dvd players Drug for anti depressant with anxiety who first discovered flower

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Standard fire insurance policy Oxycontin and morphine cold turkey public+citizen +neurontin+gabapentin amateur first anal Medicare fee schedule procedural codes Adaptor cards cpu face lift recovery time monarch futon mattresses spring air mattress heavenly 401k accounts Molly sims swimwear Fat woman thongs finding a fax number buy air mattresses buspar bulbine http://www.incorporate-5.info/Mitsubishimonterorecall.html http://www.screen-print-t-shirt.info/culinary-schools-nj.html special effects contact lens acuvue 2 colors acuvu florida gators 2006 sec champion t-shirts Asian model strip