Thursday, February 23, 2006

I was going to paint a picture of our summers buying KFC or spicy chicken wings and heading out to the beach and park, when we were kids, with dad. However, I wont. I was reminded of these times because today Rich and I went to the campground area of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground (correct nomenclature is improtant) and had a tasty picnic right by the Seven Seas Lagoon. It was perfect; warm and breezy.

But what I also remembered when I stopped to think about those summers at the beach, eating mashed potatoes and gravy, and hogging the drumsticks, just dad, Mike and me, was how, even though this was almost a thrice weekly event, it still felt strange just having the three of us together. We were never that close with dad because he was not affectionate nor did he share his past experiences, meaning, after 25 years of having a dad I barely know two stories about his childhood or even young adulthood. In looking back it's sad but really that's what I know and to see anything different would be stranger.

My days of picnics, swinging on swings, walking the beach and running under the summer sun still influences me today. When it gets hot and I feel cooped up I yearn to go out, walk under the sun, (preferably by the water) and bring some kind of fattening lunch and when I do I feel carefree and young. I don't know about dad's memories from childhood but he's made many happy memories for us.


It's Friday tomorrow!! Have a good weekend.
Me.

p.s. was that a lame ending?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes because you set it up as being a strange experience but end on it being "happy" without backing that up.

i'd end more on a "make you think" ending instead of a hollywood happy ending. especially since a lot of people have that same experience of knowing nothing about their dad - except knowing that he ruins everything.

so instead of making a great outing where he told you stories, he made it an awkward uncomfortable outing - like most fathers. that sounds familiar - i have zero positive memories of my father but i have plenty memories of him ruining stuff. positive memories are when he slept all the time or was not there.

should fathers be blamed or punished for being so bad? i don't know but i don't think their sins should be swept under the rug too easily like how my sister seems to play it off. "oh dad! blah blah". that seems wrong because the dad gets off scott free for all his crappiness. but maybe that is why so many end up in nursing homes - "take that ya old *ucker"

also, i thought you didn't like drumsticks - darkmeat etc.

Michelle said...

i don't like drumsticks now but, for some reason, as a kid i couldn't get enough. i think it was the magical quality in them, where it was all there for you and you didn't have to worry about parts, like wings, and you could carry it around all day, gnawing at it (which i did not do), and it was pretty tasty.

i thought it was a lame ending, something someone would write for their 8th grade composition, but i was already uncomfortable bringing it up (going beyond my boundaries) and it was late and didn't want to have to leave off a nice day by feeling sorta weird.

but on the other hand, they were happy memories for me if i just excluded the parts where we sat together eating but not talking. at the very least he took us out so that we didn't feel penned up and dying of the boredom of summer vacations.

p.s. i hope my husband doesn't become that type of dad.

Anonymous said...

see, this would have been fine for the ending because it explains why they were happy days even though it was awkward. and it turns lemon into lemonade - which is fine as long it is justifiable and this now justifies it. the previous ending seemed too deus ex machina is all.

"they were happy memories for me if i just excluded the parts where we sat together eating but not talking. at the very least he took us out so that we didn't feel penned up and dying of the boredom of summer vacations."

Anonymous said...

too bad your husband doesn't have too many happy childhood stories to tell. maybe he can quiz the children on math problems instead... uh... oh. sounds like he would be of the same type.

so maybe it shows that your father did not have a happy childhood and so had nothing positive to say and tried to hide it from you. and maybe he had no experience in relating to children in a positive way. maybe instead of disappointment towards a father of that type, it should be pity that is felt.

A conversation of forgiveness might go something like this...

"A lot of people want me to say a lot of things to you. But this is what I want to say to you. Yes, you hurt me and I cried and it was painful... But I want you to know that I’ve forgiven you, and that you don’t need someone to apologize to forgive them. And I figure that if Jesus could die so that all of my wrongs could be forgiven, then I could certainly extend that same grace to you."

Anonymous said...

I happened upon the verse where your carol gets its lyrics from:

Matthew 2:10
When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy.