Thursday, July 27, 2006

What About The Handicapped Ones?

You, faithful reader, already know that I go to the supermarket early in the morning, and I love doing it. To tell the truth I go to about 6 different ones. I compare prices, produce, workers, atmosphere and most of all I like to people watch.

Today, what struck me was handling. I think your skills maneuvering a shopping cart is a reflection of your driving.

One woman, older, frenzied, 'cut' me several times, rushing to something I was headed to, stopping before me, then I'd move on only to have her race behind me and cut me once more. She had a sleek, well-oiled cart.

Then there were the mothers with the babies, too busy yelling at their children, not looking where they were going, and feeling very entitled. They drove the SUV's of the store, those huge metal carts attached to those big plastic cars where the kids can ride inside. They would come out of an aisle without even checking if anyone was coming by.

There were a few people who didn't seem to care at all, their carts were the old, rusty types whose wheels were misaligned and caused them to swerve up and down the aisle, they had bad food in their carts as well. They were the ones who hit other people and their carts with their own.

Then there were the 'environmentalists' who didn't use carts, preferring baskets, so as not to take up too much space, they kept to the fruits and vegetables aisle, stopping to ascertain whether the fish was edible. They were also aware of other people around them. They usually were in the 10 items or less aisle.

Once in a while I'd see signs of 'aisle rage' where one person would be stuck behind a slow moving person. The enraged person would then zoom ahead only to slow down and meander just so the person behind him would be stuck behind him now.

Which supermarket driver are you?

Me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i guess the Environmentalist one. I don't like using a large shopping cart that gets in everyone's way and so prefer the basket. and when i go, it is mostly fruit/vegetable and raw meats that fill the basket.