Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Although It's Been Said Many Times, Many Ways

There are about two Christmas songs that really make me feel as if it's really Christmas, and I need it because there are only 12 more days until the day and I don't feel too Christmas-y. I know it's a state of mind but it's hard to concentrate when the weather only teases us with cold and no snow. Brings the humbug outta me. Maybe when I start buying gifts it'll get better but for now I'll listen to the music.

First song: Feliz Navidad. I know. I love it too. ha ha. It's so upbeat and cheery, none of your, "I'm upset and homesick for you during this time of year and you're just not around" nope. It's, god-damn it I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas! Yeah! Makes me wanna dance around and understand that Christmas is a joyous event, something that you want to wish on everyone. (Note: Only the Jose Feliciano version though)

Second song: The Christmas Song. The Nat King Cole version is the best but I'll take anyone elses as long as it keeps the same beat and time and melody.
I mean, the name basically tells it all. What I love about it is it's nostalgic and warm and always always makes me think of firesides and children peering out at frost covered windows and the feeling of walking down a cold, slushy, busy street, with the light from store windows and decorations guiding you down as you carry armloads of presents. It just puts me in the Christmas mood.

Okee, be good all!

Good luck Julie!!

See you all on the flip-side,
Me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christmas can only be appreciated through the innocent eyes of children. Either you have to be a child or you have to be around them and witness it through them. So really only children or parents of young children can appreciate Christmas. So for now you are outta luck.

I mean, you cant *try* to get in the Christmas spirit but it will never be like it is with children. What happened wasn't the weather - it was that you left Neverland and grew up.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a bit insensitive to be talking about "Christ"-mas incase any non Christians read your blog? I don't mean to attack Christianity though. Being that Christians only account for 80% of the country, I am aware that we need to be vigilant to not let them fall pray to religious persecution.

Although, I'm not sure what a tree in your house, strings of outdoor lights placed on bushes, glass bulbs, Santa Claus and all the other trappings of "Christmas" has to do with Christianity.

I guess if I were to celebrate Christmas a little more Christianly I would not gather with my family but with those in need. Jesus helped those who needed it. Mankind was his family. He helped the the sick, the demon possessed, prostitutes, and others that society shunned. I wouldn't put a tree in my house or buy presents to put under it. I'd use my money to help those in need. I would give of myself so that others could be comforted. I would give until it hurt (as Jesus gave himself up to a painful death so that mankind could be saved) with no regard for whether I would ever get anything back. And I wouldn't stop at the end of "Christmas".