Saturday, August 12, 2006

When the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Today, as I was going for my daily drive around the neighborhood, I realized that the older I get the more afraid I am of doing things, the closer mortality seems.

I wonder if the closer I get towards death in age will I not feel scared of dying, in fact coming face to face will I be brave and embrace it like a long lost friend? As if I could cash in the years of dread for that single moment or gradual acceptance and anticipation of what is to come.

I was driving, safely, just at the speed limit, not minding that someone passed me and thought that at sixteen I was so far from death that I never even thought of it, I would speed down a boulevard, passing all the over-20-year-olds, laughing and singing at the top of my lungs, swerving this way and that.

Now the danger in things jump out at me and I try to be careful when I drive, softly cursing people who could endanger this vessel that should keep me for another 50+ years.

I'm feeling the birthday blues and have lived too long with people who worry too much.

Me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the Twilight Zone teaches you anything, it is that those that are afraid of death and hang on too long are very bad off and those that accept and embrace death as a natural part of life do well.

Anonymous said...

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?"
Matthew 6:25-27

Anonymous said...

You are doing worse by cursing people than anything else because:

"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."
Matthew 6:14-15

Michael "Paz" Pascua said...

Eric thinks that you're going through an early mid-life crisis.

At least you don't get jokes about being "grandpa" and listening to Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline.