Saturday, October 06, 2007

It's been rainy here the past few days and the moths have been a-swarming. I'm pretty sure I've counted 50 different varieties of moths. Grey with dark grey stripes, gold with brown stripes, grey with amber stripes, little ones, one big enough to be a sparrow, medium ones, black ones with white markings and whitish ones with black markings. They sit on the stuccoed surface of our hallways, little drab triangles that have been pasted up, and flutter only when the wind gusts or when the lights turn on. They don't make noise or spin webs, just silent observers of my comings and goings.

The streets have become mucky, the leaves have been blown off and night comes on quicker and stays a little longer. The pumpkins and my cat are out and there are strains of melancholic music that float along the air and nestle in one's ear, leaving you longing.

I love the Fall.

No comments: