Thursday, April 26, 2007

What Do You Do With A B.A. In English?

Thanks to Wikipedia I know exactly what I'm suffering from. I am in the midst of a QLC. A quarter-life crisis. For those who can't do math, I'm going through a mid-twenties crisis. The symptoms include the following:
* Feeling "not good enough" because one can't find a job that is at his/her academic/intellectual level.
* Insecurity regarding the near future
* Insecurity regarding present accomplishments
* Disappointment with one's job
* Nostalgia for university or college life
* Financially-rooted stress
* Desire to have children
* A sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you

But what do I do? I read the article, I know the symptoms, I know that others are suffering this maddening depression as I but what do I do? No one else tells you these things. It's as if, once they've endured and crossed the abyss they forget about what they went through and never speak of it again. So, which path do I choose... stick to my job or indulge in something different?

There's an entire network but no one has seen the light end of the tunnel. Well a few people come back to report that everything is fine in the future, but I tend to dismiss this and tell myself that I'll be better than that person.

My belief is that most people reach the end of this trial and they are lifted into some sort of other worldly craft, brainwashed and set up with a job and a family. They are programmed to like it and to earn enough income to have a stash for retirement and college funds.

Why haven't they come for me yet?

Me.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They come for you when you're in your early thirties.

Yeah it happens, mid-twenties are turbulent like that but early thirties is when you hit your stride and things start working out. I went from living with my parents to having a wife, exact career of my choice, and residence in the town i wanted when i hit my thirties.

that's what you have to go through to get here though, so just suck it up and wait - otherwise there'd be nothing to look forward to. 30-45 are probably the human golden years.

Anonymous said...

just to add to that, make sure you develop a faith in god and have the betterment of humanity as a goal by 30. selfish inconsiderate a-holes will not be happy - ever. Take the entire population of new jersey for example, no please take them and throw them in a dump - oh wait. snap.

Anonymous said...

and to add to the first comment, it mentions "waiting" - but that doesn't mean just sitting around and doing nothing while waiting. it is necessary to "put in your dues" during that waiting period. you have to plant your seed so that when you're 30 it blossoms. for instance, i sat around day in and day out in my 20s learning what would eventually be my chosen career.

Anonymous said...

You gotta just drink the kool-aid. if you resist the matrix, you'll get nothing but stress, so you just have to accept life on planet earth as it is.

you can waste a lot of time thinking about what's not going right - or you can just accept things and play the game and be happy. yes, like you said, brainwashed - we've been cleansed of our naive notion of how the world should be revolving around "me".