Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Michelle, The Employee

I work at the airport. I hate it. Everyday is like a little death.

I take it back. I used to hate it, it used to feel like a little death everyday. Then I found out my fat is a good floatation device, so instead of being submerged in the sea of tedium and menialness, I am bobbing around making new friends, disliking a whole bunch of new people and exploring my surroundings. My bouyancy always surprises me.

The airport seems huge at first but it's really quite small. Only one real level of openness and space. There are a few floors of exploration and it helps to have a hotel there as well. Sometimes I ride up and down on the glass enclosed elevators and watch the busy people running around, or sleeping on benches, or greeting their loved ones waiting for them on the other side.

This job gives one a great sense of being a fly on the wall and I sometimes think that I am truly invisible.

So what will you be for Halloween?

Me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a poor environment is good for creativity. Without outside stimulation, the ever-curious and exploratory hairless ape will turn creative on the inside. What a great opportunity for you as an artist now.

Anonymous said...

I felt the same exact way for most of the years I was in school. I would also just sit and watch people like a fly on the wall. But unlike you I didn't try and make friends as my outlet. I just went home and watched my friends on the TV.

In the later years when the internet came about, I did go there to make friends. And later on I found a creative outlet on the computer to occupy my time.

Friends and creative outlets are basically what make life livable for anyone.